Saturday, January 19, 2008

Calculated Nonsense

The ODM has reversed itself and is again calling for more protests. A bunch of people were killed in last week's 3 days of demonstrations, some at the hands of mobs and some by the police.

Released to the media and shown extensively is a video of a policeman chasing two guys and shooting them, then kicking one while he is down. The video is gruesome. It is a testimony to the reality of these present demonstrations.

The policeman in the video has been vilified by many. However, this is a knee-jerk reaction to a few seconds of horror. I have yet to read why the policeman was pursuing these men. The video does not include the transgression, if any, that these men had committed. Is it really difficult to imagine that these men had been engage in some nefarious act?

The last 3 days of protests have had the desired effect sought after by the ODM: chaos, death and outrage - primarily by the donor community. The ODM's goal was to have sensational news bites that could be fed to the Europeans and Americans. They got some and now they want some more, therefore, more protestations for next week.

"Killing fields" - the term has been pointedly used to describe police action, primarily to foment outrage, disparage the governement and fan the flames of chaos. The use of this term is outrageous, and calculated. Outright lies, masqarading as hyperbole, simply used to manipulate.

The fact is that the vast majority of Kenyans simply want to go about their normal routines. The elections finished badly. The systems that allowed for the irregularities need to be fixed, but the remedies must follow the law and the constitution. Certainly, anarchy is not a way to fix an election gone bad.

How can one return to normalcy in the face of a rigged election? Kenya did it for years and years and I don't know why there is such gnashing of teeth over doing the same in 2008. However, at this time, there is genuine hope that parliament can enact the changes necessary to run better elections next time. After all, many of the old gaurd were not reelected. Is this not a harbinger of positive change?

The average Kenyan must rely upon himself. It has always been this way. The governement is not going to do anything, regardless who's president. Chaos is not going to help the average Kenyan. Destruction is not going to help the average Kenyan. The continued disruption of business is not going to help the average Kenyan. The suspension of foreign aid is not going to help the average Kenyan.

Who is helped by chaos? Who wants distruction? Who is calling for a disruption of business? Who is calling for sanctions? These are the people who benefit, not 98% of the Kenyan people.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Au contraire my friend. You are either overly ignorant or hopelessly naive to even imagine that the "legal system" in Kenya would ever resolve the current impasse.

So what imaginable crime would cause a policeman to shoot two unarmed fleeing citizens of our dear beloved country in the back and then proceed to clobber them in so cruel a manner? Please enlighten me since I seemed to have totally missed the amendment to the constitution that gave the police such sweeping godly power over life and death.

The contradiction in your post is both comical and mystifying. So Raila should wait for the courts and the policemen should meanwhile play judge, jury and executioner on the streets?

Methinks the calculated nonsense lies right here in this post.

Anonymous said...

ODM Cabinet List

John Francis said...

I am pleased to have your attention and thank you for replying. You are the first person to do so and I appreciate it.

First, I categorically repudiate the use of violence to solve the present situation in Kenya. The best way forward for Kenya is political through the elected members of parliament and through whatever "legal system" is in place. In my opinion, a coup is not an option.

I am neither ignorant nor naive. I am stating that the best way forward is for existing systems to handle the situation. These systems are the only legal way forward. These systems may be inefficient, broken or corrupted, but they are the system. To go outside the system is to invite to invite anarchy.

Second, I can easily imagine a crime that would cause a policeman to shoot unarmed fleeing citizens. You are an intelligent chap and I'm certain you can too.

I do not want anyone to miss the point that the incident over which you are incensed is a tiny microcosm reflective of the anarchy being fomented by certain individuals. I am putting all things in a different context than you, my friend. In the context of insanity, a crazy cop gunning down rock-throwing demonstrators is understandable.

I do not understand a woman being raped because she is Kikuyu. I do not understand a Church full of woman and kids being torched. I do not understand thugs manning road blocks and killing those passing by. I do not understand trucks being stopped and people being thrown over a bridge. I do not understand a neighbor burning down another's house because of whom they voted. I do not understand mobs tearing up railroad tracks. I do not understand someone burning out a shopkeeper because they are Kikuyu. I don't understand chopping up people and killing them. I do not understand half a million people run out of town.

Elected officials are manipulating people and fomenting violence and hate for their personal benefit. The only message that should be coming from elected politicians at this time is a cessation of protestations, in my opinion.

The elections are over and Raila cannot be installed by mob fiat. If Raila can be installed as president via a political and legal process, fine. Even if Kibaki were to step down, Raila is not the one to succeed him.

I have not meant to be funny or confusing. I have stated my opinion straight-up. Raila should do whatever the law and political processes of Kenya allow. Raila should not be calling for demonstrations as they are never peaceful. Demonstrations are destructive - period. Destruction is not good for Kenya and hurts people.

If clarification is needed: I'm for the people of Kenya. I'm not for Kibaki. I'm not for Raila. To me, they are both rats. I am for that which improves the existence of all, and in my opinion, the best chance for hope lies in economic development. If the economy of Kenya disintegrates it will effect the entire working class, and it does not care if you are Luo or Kikuyu, male or female, young or old.

As for the policeman in the video that has everyone worked up in a lather, if he is guilty of a crime, charge him. Try to put your passion aside and put this episode in perspective: there are hundreds of police facing thousands of demonstrators across Kenya. The vast majority of cops are not playing judge, jury and executioner. Most are doing their duty under extraordinary circumstances.

I would very mush like to know how you, commentator - and those like you - would respond to video of a woman being gang raped due to her tribe. I would like to know how you - and those like you - would respond to a video of the strangulation of some old woman due to her vote. I would like to know how you - and those like you - would respond to video of women and kids being burned to death due to their tribe. I would like to know how you - and others like you - would respond to video of thugs chopping a guy to pieces because of this tribe.

Why does the cop video foment such a vituperative response? Why does not arson, death, dismemberment, extortion and destitution raise all-out indignation - and a deafening cry for sanity and peace?!

I was viscerally appalled by the video of the cop. I could never watch a video of people being burnt alive by a mob of murderers.

Horror unspeakable has been perpetrated in Kenya - primarily by criminals and demented ethno-fascists. If someone wants to be outraged, let them be outraged by ethno-fascism - in all its forms - because the fact remains that, to the very vast majority of Kenyans, it matters not who is president. Their plight will not be impacted whatsoever.

I'll take all the criticism I can get, but first, read all my posts. I have an opinion. It is subject to change but I have been consistent in my message to those interested in Kenyans.

1. Politicians manipulate people.
2. Violence is to be repudiated.
3. Economic development is the only way forward for all people of Kenya.
4. Political systems should be improved by the people's representatives.
5. Ignorance must be tempered.

A return to a semblance of normalcy may not get some people what they want. But I guarantee that more chaos, death and destruction is bad for everyone.